Monday, March 22, 2010

Oh hey running is not so bad

Well! So! As it turns out, I enjoy to run. I guess I had kind of not been enjoying it for awhile...I guess since I moved to Atlanta about a year ago. I think the reasons I hadn't been enjoying it were many. Some of those reasons will still be around, such as the wretched weather. That will be mitigated this year, hopefully, with my plan of getting into decent shape before the weather gets too hot and humid. Running is always more fun when you're in good shape to do it. Other things contributing to my lack of running enjoyment were maybe more about lack of general life enjoyment. Those things are on the way out, though, as my dissertation is DONE, I have a JOB, and I won't have to travel every other danged week.

Anyways, so, running has been going pretty great as I actually have the desire to get out and do it. My foot still nags from time to time, but my running coach friend assures me that it's not hurting in a worrisome spot, or whatever, so I think I'm good there. I think that as a short-term goal, I'll plan to run some 5k's or (eek) 1500's at the Atlanta Track Club all-comers meets this summer. I wonder how it will be to run on a track again? It has been many moons.

I'm still keeping track of my step count every day, as well as my weight. I think there is not enough data for an interesting graph yet. One interesting thing, though, is that my weight has like a 10-pound range, corresponding to nothing obvious. This is actually really helpful, as it's hard to care about my weight on a given day when I know the size of the error bars.

Finally, in the spirit of "things I see while running". Yesterday I ran up behind a walking dude, who was doing just the SASSIEST arm and hip movements you ever did see. It was either a dance or a really animated conversation. Anyways it is not funny to read about but it sure was funny to see. Also, it is hard to run while laughing, and even harder to conceal that laughter as you run on past the...laugh-ee.

No comments: